Tuesday 12 April 2011

The Immortal Sky


For my media product I decided to use the pictures I've been continuously taking of the sky. Some locations include, Germany, London, Bradford, Kettering, Wellinborough and Birmingham.
I also wrote some poetry to fit in with my pictures. I chose this music because it links in with the calming and serene image of the sky. I'm pleased with the way my video has turned out because the scenes or images fade into each other well and even though it was hard to try to get the timing right, it still works well.

The majority of my pictures were taken with my mobile phone because i liked the way the pictures turned out. That is to say i liked the slightly 'rough' feeling of them since nature isn't exactly controlled or refined. The pictures that were taken with my camera were sharper and much more focused and some pictures even had a slight 3D like effect, however, in my opinion they looked too clean and sharp to represent the image of nature and that is why I picked my mobile pictures over the camera ones.

My poetry was inspired by the long bus and taxi journeys I took to get back home in the evening. After looking at the sky I felt calm and I could easily allow my mind to wander. Over the past couple of years, I have been moving around the country and realized that even though the sky might look a but different in another town, it's still the same sky no matter where you are. I was also inspired by Philip Larking. In one of his poems he said:
"How we live measures our own nature" - Mr Bleaney
  I actually agree with this because we live by following our own beliefs and by making our own decisions so surely that reflects our own nature or personality. By writing and creating this video I realised how much I enjoyed writing.

In my opinion this video is visually soothing because it calms you down and just listening to the song itself it fills you with peace.

1 comment:

  1. Look at Alfred Stieglitz and F. Holland Day and the Photo-Secessionist movement of the 1900s. They photographed clouds (and other stuff). The photos are lovely, I'm just not sure you need the poetry AND the music as well - one or the other would do or you could just leave the photographs to speak for themselves. Less is more and the trick is often leaving things out so you don't over egg the pudding.

    ReplyDelete