Monday 4 April 2011

Chained





This picture is something I drew for my Visual Literacy Diary. It was drawn under the heading religion. Sometimes religion can suffocate me because Asian/Sikh families pride themselves on what they look like to the outside world. Whether it's about appearances, responsibilities, manners or reputation, we must always seek to look our best. For this painting I used colouring pencils and a gray wax crayon. The reason for this is that you can control your movements better with pencils and the crayon gives the chains an element of weight because it can be hard drawing with them. I made sure not to draw a face for the girl because I thought that there must be million of other girls who feel exactly like me. The position of the chains add some symmetry to the drawing which created a controlled and trapped atmosphere. I also used a light background to make the chains stand out even more so that the viewers truly get the feeling of being trapped. This is one of my favourite drawings because it does convey some of the negative feelings that come with being weighed down with responsibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment